Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Daily diet

I know it's probably been said thousands of times to some of you guys, but diet is really 80% of the success you are going to see when on any type of fitness program. My diet is tailored to my specific goals, which currently are to maintain my current level of muscle while losing a steady amount of body fat each week, but not too much. It really is a balancing act, losing about 1-1.5 lbs per week for someone looking to shed a modest amount of fat is about right. Any more weight than that and you are dipping in to muscle stores. I shed about 5 lbs for the first 2 weeks when I started but that's mainly because my body was shocked back into a cardio and diet routine, the first 5 always come off pretty easily due to water retention and other factors.

Regarding complex carbohydrates, Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. In other words I taper off my carbs as the day goes on. Here is an example of a daily diet for me;

Breakfast: Kashi Golean cereal, 1 cup of cottage cheese with blueberries and sugar free jelly.
Pre-lunch: 1 slice of ezekiel bread with peanut butter, 1 scoop of Shakeology , 1 scoop of whey protein.
Lunch: 2 chicken breast and brown rice with some lowfat cheese and salsa.
Pre-Dinner: 1 slice of ezekiel bread with peanut butter, 2 scoops of whey protein.
Dinner: 2 portions lean protein (lean steak, chicken, fish, turkey...etc.), a large amount of vegatables (asparagus, broccoli, green beans, carrots...etc)
Before Bed:  2 scoops of casein protein.

Notice the drop in carbs as the day goes on. Your body is not in need of carbs towards the end of the day, you're winding down and getting ready for bed. Your body is entering a less active state and eventually a sleep state, you will be burning through carbs at a much lower rate. This is why they are not needed in the evening especially to promote fat loss, if you do have carb heavy meals before bed your body just ends up storing those carbs as fat.  The protein intake almost always stays the same per meal (between 30-60grams of protein) as this is important to maintain muscle size while cutting, it also helps satiety.

Progress: Judging by the mirror I'm definitely losing more fat off my body. It's still steadily coming off and I can see the results. I've given myself a cheat day on Sunday, but when you kick ass all week at dieting and exercise I find myself not taking that cheat day or even a cheat meal. I just don't feel the craving for one thing, and for another I've worked hard and I don't care to set myself back even if it's just by a little.



No comments:

Post a Comment